It’s impossible these days to go through an entire summer without hearing of some warning about a pond with algae in it. Often the title might say something like “Toxic Algae Found In Lake” or something similar.
Just this week two new articles came out, one from Kansas, and one from Long Island New York, with warnings that people, pets, and livestock should avoid ponds that are covered with green algae, or if the water is tinted green (blue-green, bown, and even red.) In the New York case, a pet died after drinking from the pond.
So the question came up about just how dangerous any pond with algae might be and what to watch out for concerning the “toxic outbreaks” that always seem to make the news.
You might recall an article I wrote a year or two ago about this very subject. You can read that one here. My attempt in that installment was to try and ease concerns a little bit but in doing so, I don’t want to minimize this issue either.