Carol, a pond friend of ours, wrote into us recently and had a great question about heron decoys. Last fall, a Great Blue Heron came into her fish pond and may have taken out any number of fish. It was hard to tell just how many, but some were likely eaten, and while eventually they […]
I recently came across this post in a pond forum and wanted to share this with you…and while you’d think this would be a rare thing to happen in a fish pond, that’s not really the case. “Late last fall ,I allowed a distraction to cause me to effectively KILL all of my Goldfish ,I […]
I noticed a fairly common but disturbing post on a pond forum today and I wanted to share this with you here in the hopes that it will help you avoid this with your Koi in particular. Here’s the post This is a story that would usually start with “A friend of mine…” but I’ll […]
Here’s an interesting story from a pond owner that saved one of his larger catfish from some major problems. It seems that he noticed a basketball floating in the pond and on closer inspection found that it was looking pretty edible to one large catfish. Upon trying to swallow the thing, it got lodged in […]
Koi fish are interesting creatures to say the least. For anyone who’s had fish, any fish really, for any length of time, you kind of get in tune with their habits and personalities, and yes, they do differ from fish to fish. And one trait that some of them may have is that they like […]
This was a tough week for a fellow in Hendersonville North Carolina. Clyde Halbert had spent years building up his fish stock and estimated he’d invested nearly $40,000 in purchasing catfish for his pond. Halbert operates a business where folks can come in and fish for trophy sized catfish. They pay him a small fee, […]
Last Saturday we experienced some of the hottest weather I’ve seen in a good while. The thermometer read a toasty 104 degrees around noon time while we checked out the local farmers market. Needless to say the crowd wasn’t quite as big as usual. For just about everyone out there that day it was brutal […]
On the one hand, it’s great to have happy and healthy fish. This is as it should be if you’re doing a good job at managing your Koi pond. On the other hand, happy and healthy fish are usually really good at making more fish. Or maybe it’s the other way around. Anyway, this can […]
As many of you know, green water is a common issue in tons of small fish ponds. And one of the best ways I have always suggested to deal with it is with a combination of beneficial pond bacteria and desirable plants. But there’s a problem with this advice, at least where a Koi pond […]
- Overwintering Your Pond Fish October 10, 2009
- Is There A Secret To Pond Algae Control? May 6, 2009
- Do It Yourself Pond Filter March 12, 2009
- What’s Your Favorite Pond Plant? September 4, 2008
- Keeping Pond Fish Safe From Predators – The Follow Up May 17, 2008
- One Dam Fine Letter April 30, 2017
- Earth Day – Save On Our Natural Products April 17, 2017
- Game Changer – The Quattro-DB Ultrasound Algae Control System Is Here April 13, 2017
- Act Now: Proposed Regulation Could End Access To Koi March 26, 2017
- Can This Device End Your Duckweed Problem? June 5, 2016
- Mark: Hi Nigel, Problem is that bacteria are microorgan...
- Nigel Pollitt: Hi there, this is all very interesting what you'v...
- Patrick Knott: Thanks Mark. Keep up the great work!! Your art...
- Chris: Thank you so much Mark. I will do that....
- Mark: Hi Chris....the one side effect you might see from...
- Be sure to read - One Dam Fine Letter - today, at the Pond Algae Solutions Blog. https://t.co/UJyedxBMhc 10 months ago
- Be sure to read - One Dam Fine Letter - today, at the Pond Algae Solutions Blog. https://t.co/ovOpmS9lm6 10 months ago
- Test Post from Pond Algae Solutions Blog https://t.co/Nb7J0dEsJd https://t.co/INRcmKhNM7 10 months ago
- Be sure to read - One Dam Fine Letter - today, at the Pond Algae Solutions Blog. https://t.co/JVSRLLDacv 10 months ago
- Be sure to read - One Dam Fine Letter - today, at the Pond Algae Solutions Blog. https://t.co/rN5AuwXiTr 10 months ago